Top ten things I have personally learned about start-up
1. Start-up is a young person’s game. The time demands will likely cause you to exclude nearly everything else in your life. That being said - if the sacrifice is worth it to you, Age does not matter.
2. You are stronger than you think.
3. Persist – If plan ‘A’ doesn’t work…have a plan ‘b-c-d-e-f-g-h-etc.’ Stay fluid and try all the options.
4. Realize that walking away is not a failure. I have failed and I have grown from it – This is why I succeed now. You have plenty of time to fail and get back on the horse.
5. Take breaks and personal days or you will burn out and not be able to do what needs to be done when it needs to happen.
6. Surround yourself with people smarter than you.
7. Do NOT be afraid to ask for help.
8. You only need to do one small thing VERY WELL…
9. Don’t let the “yes men” derail you from your goal. Lots of people will tell you how good everything is but offer suggestions for change. Keep your focus. Do the one small thing well and once that is done, If it makes sense, you can grow from there. If you try to do it all at once, nothing will ever get done.
10. Never compare yourself to others – You don’t know their full story and you need to be focused on making yours!